Saturday, January 29, 2011

WRAP-UP THOUGHTS ON COURSE

I must be honest, when I first saw the e-mail informing us that we had to complete this course, I was filled with dread, having never really attempted any on-line training especially in Information Technology. My experience of training is sitting in a room with a group working through excercises together and thrashing out problems. Some parts of the course were easier than others and in certain sections without the help of my colleagues I would have struggled to complete the task.

However, in this ever-changing world of technology and work place practises, we have to be able to come out of our comfort zone and really test our own abilities, embrace change and be flexible in our attitudes. This course, although very time consuming at home, has given me some much needed confidence on the PC and in areas I knew nothing about two months ago. Personally I do feel that if you don,t use it you lose it, and unless you have the time to really keep abreast of these tools and use them on a day to day basis you will forget how to.

At least now I understand what, why and how and will be able to use this knowledge to enhance my job role and offer better customer service to our patrons.

5 comments:

  1. Well done on completing this course and seeing it through to the bitter end! I've still one week to go....(BOO!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. despite claiming to be a complete novice, I think you were the first of us to finish! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on finishing the course.
    It's great to see so many of our team being dedicated enough to finish it at home ... not so great on my part for not coordinating the time at work for you better.
    Yet another thing I learnt throughout the course ... 15 minutes a day is not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to you.....in true Brit style you stuck it out to the bitter end.. I'm just completing week 3 - RSS aggregators/feeds next on the old agenda - sounds like I ought to be working in the zoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! As you have mentioned, although all of these online stuff may appear dreadful, it's important for us to at least have a go at understanding and trying these technologies: we don't want to be caught in a position where patrons ask us questions regarding these information technologies/tools and we're found clueless.

    ReplyDelete